Salesmate lets you import your contacts using from two sources, either it could be from your Google Contacts (Gmail) or a CSV / Excel file
Steps to Import Contacts (There are two ways to reach for importing data )
- Go to Contact Header Tab
- Click on Actions Menu
- Select Import from Excel or Google Contacts
- Click on Profile Icon top right corner
- Select Setup
- Under Data Administration, Select Import Data
- Select Import choice Contact
- In case Of Contacts, you will find two options:
- Select Import from CSV / Excel or Google Contacts
- A sample data for your reference
Each field should have a reasonable header name, these headers will be mapped to Salesmate fields
You can use owner column to assign records to your teammates. Please note this column accepts their email addresses to find and map them inside Salesmate.
- Select File to import (If you choose the first import option from Contact / Company / Deal List page you will be lead directly here)
- Click Next
- To keep your CRM clean and usable, Salesmate will not import records with ill-formatted data. At the end of import, Salesmate will tell you which records are rejected and why.
- It's recommended to Import Companies first, then Contacts. Importing in this order will ensure that all records are related correctly
- Owner Column should have a valid email address of the user
- The records that have not been mapped with Owner, can be later attached while mapping in stage 2 - (Owner of records if not mentioned in sheet)
- If you skip this, it will auto map records with the user who is performing the import
- If you have Name only Column, then it should be split into First and Last name before you start the import
- Map the fields in your file to related Salesmate fields
- File Columns - represents Field present in your Excel / CSV spreadsheet
- Salesmate Fields - represents Field present in your Salesmate account
- Ensure File Columns are properly mapped Salesmate Fields
- All columns which were available inside your file are shown on the right-hand side, and you can map their corresponding column inside Salesmate on the left.
- Salesmate will try to map known columns automatically, rest of the columns will require manual mapping.
- You can Ignore the Fields that you do not want to import
- Confirm Mapping
- Start Import
1. Select an action which you want to perform when duplicate records are found during import. You can ignore, merge or recreate them.
2. Who owns them?
3. Assign any tags to newly created records. Tags are useful for grouping, searching and mass editing records
Note: Import can take several minutes based on the number of records. Salesmate will notify you via email once the records are imported.
- Verify your records in the Import Summary
- Get Notified via in-app notifications and email, once the records have been processed and imported
- The Import Summary is divided into three tabs and will be available under Import History
- You do not need to wait for the import to be finished as Salesmate will process your import in the backend and once it's being done, Salesmate will notify you by email.
You can check the status of your data import from - Setup>Data Administration>Import history
- Salesmate will tell you when was last import done and by whom. You can also view the number of records created, update or rejected during last import.
- Records Added: Successfully imported records
- Records Updated: Records that have been updated as per the chosen duplicate option
- Records Error: Problematic records which had incorrect values or any other errors.
- You can download the Rejected records correct them and reimport your sheet.
- The errors are listed in the last column of the Records ignored tab.
- Any records rejected? Just click on a column to download and view errors. Rectify them and re-import
You can find the reason for the error in the output excel file’s “Rejected Reason Column”
Fix the suggested issues and import this file with updated reject records
A. Tips for Date based Fields
- Import Companies first, then Contacts and then Deals. Importing in this order will ensure that all records are related correctly.
- Setup custom fields before import.
- We support file sizes up to 5MB. If your file is larger than 5MB, we suggest you break it up into multiple files.
- The first row of your import file must be the column headers you wish to import.
- The duplicate check will be performed on email or phone number.
- Unexpected errors may occur if XLS file does have any special styles, combo filters or images.
- By default, the character encoding is UTF-8 character set will be escaped.
- We suggest you to import a small set of sample data, before importing your actual data.
- Description filed only supports 2000 characters max.
- Date format inside your excel sheet should be in any of these formats:
dd/mm/yyyy | mm/dd/yyyy | yyyy-mm-dd | dd MMM, yyyy | MMM dd, yyyy
B. Video Tips for Date based import
Tip: To make it quick and error-free, we suggest you import a small set of sample data, before importing your actual data. You can also use the sample .csv file to test your import.
C. How can I undo an import?
- Salesmate does not allow reverting an import.
- However, you can filter your data based on the "Created At" field i.e. Date of Creation
- Select these records and delete
- Re-import the fresh data.
D. Tips for Google Contacts import
- It may take a while for your Google contacts to be imported depending on the number of contacts in your Google account.
- You can map your fields while importing the Google Contacts which lets you import data to custom fields too.