There are certain fields whose values depend on another field's value. For example, the values in the state field will depend on the country that you select from the country field.
Note: Map Dependency Fields can only be created for Select and Multi-select field types.
To create dependency fields:
- Navigate to the Profile icon in the top right corner.
- Click on Setup
- Head over to the Customizations category
- Click on Contact.
- Click on Add Custom Field in the top-right corner.
- It will be a Select type of field. In this example, we will create two select fields one with the label Country and the second will be State. Based on the selection of the country, the fields of the state field will be visible.
- Field 1: Country
- Field 2: State
- From the down arrow beside the New Custom Field, click on Map Dependency Fields
- Click on Create
Create and Map dependency for picklist fields.
Map Parent Field to a Child Field. In our example, Country to State.
Select values of the child field dependent upon each parent value. Hit Save.
- Select the options while creating your records.