You can import your Contacts, Companies, Deals, Activities records, and Notes and that too "ALL AT ONCE"; in Salesmate through a single CSV/Excel file (XLS/XLSX).
Pre-Requisite for file import
Following are the points that need to be taken care of; before starting the import:
- Before you import the data records, ensure that you have created all the Users and Deal-pipelines in your Salesmate account such that the data can be properly associated during import.
- The default pipeline and the first stage of the pipeline would be selected to import data if Salesmate doesn't find the matching pipeline or stage.
Steps to Import Records
There are two ways in which you can import the data:
- Go to Module Header Tab (Contacts, Companies, Deals, and Activities)
- Click on Actions Menu
- Select Import from Excel or Google Contacts
- Click on Profile Icon at the top right corner
- Select Setup
- Under Data Administration, Select Import Or Migrate Data
- Select Import Using a file
- You will be directed to the uploading page
- Click on Choose a file and select the file that you intend to import or you can simply drag and drop the file
There is no limit to the number of columns in the sheet to upload
There is a limit of 50,000 rows in the sheet to upload
The maximum file size should be 25 MB
- In the case where you have uploaded a file of a different format, you will receive an error message:
- Once the file has been uploaded, click on Next; you will be directed to the next page where you can map the sheet columns with Salesmate fields
- Map the sheet columns with Salesmate system fields and custom fields (that you have created) for the proper association of the data
- Salesmate will try to map known columns automatically, the rest of the columns will require manual mapping
Since the file would be consisting of the multiple modules record; the User will have to make sure to map each module cloumns in a sheet with Salesmate fields (system given + custom created)
- Contacts columns would go into contact fields, Deals columns would go into Deal fields and so on.
- Refer to the screenshots below
Finally, after the proper mapping; the "Map Columns" page would look like this:
- Modules with their proper name along with Module Icons for proper Visualization
NOTE: The import file's column that is mapped to the Salesmate's "owner" field must contain a valid email address of the owner. In case the email address is not present or incorrect, the logged-in user will be assigned as the owner to all imported records. If there are no values for required fields the corresponding records will be ignored while importing.
- If you map the ID of any module record, then a message marked in the yellow border will appear: "You have mapped Id column, which will execute update operation on your records. Please make sure these records with ids were exported fromSalesmate only. Otherwise, it can overwrite complete data, and this process is irreversible"
Click on the check box for the next steps
- If any sheet column does not exist as a module field in the system, then you can directly create it by clicking on “Create New Field” under the specific module and a popup will appear like below.
- Create a new custom field as per your requirement
- If any date field is mapped automatically or you map it manually, a (yellow color) icon will show up for every date field present in the file like below with the message "Please Select date and time format for data type field "
- Click on the icon to specify the date and time formats and Save
- Required fields for each module:
- Contact: First Name OR Last Name OR Name
- Company: Name
- Activity: Title
- Deal: Title
- Notes: Note Content
- Images and attachments should also be fetched while importing Notes.
- If you map other than the required fields of a module, then the NEXT button will be disabled and an error message will show up:
- You have mapped one or more contact fields. Please map first name, last name, or name field to continue the import
- You have mapped one or more company fields. Please map the company name field to continue the import
- You have mapped one or more deal fields. Please map the deal title to continue the import
- You have mapped one or more activity fields. Please map the activity title to continue the import
- You have mapped one or more note fields. Please map the note content to continue the import
- The system will try to map the possible fields automatically
- You can change/select the remaining fields manually
- You can also use the search function to quickly find the field you are looking for
- Salesmate provides the user to add Notes to each module
- Notes can be imported as well, following points needs to be considered while importing Notes:
- Notes will be created on a priority basis
- 1st is Deal
- 2nd is Contact
- 3rd is Company
- Notes will be created for the Deal module if its record is present in the sheet. If not, the second priority will be given to the Contact module and the third will be to Company Module.
- In case, If you want to upload NOTES only, then you need to mention record for at least one module ie. (Contact/Company/Activity/Deal) for the association.
- Notes will be created on a priority basis
- Required fields for NOTE:
- Note Content (mandatory)
- Created At (if not mentioned, the current date will be assigned)
- Created By (If not mentioned, logged in user will be assigned)
Preview and Import
- You will get a preview of what the import would be like, the following information would be listed as given below to verify before the import
- Preview of mapped columns
- Assign owner from the drop-down, if not mentioned in the sheet
- This feature will assign the owner to those records which do not have owner specified in the sheet or specified owner is not present in the sheet
- Add multiple Tags to the data records
- Data duplication
- Blank columns
- Fields (Multi-Select, Tag)
Click on " I have verified, start the import " to start the import process and you will be redirected to the next page where the progress of the current import be visible
NOTE: Import will be Salesmate-link wise ie. only one user of the same link can run the import/revert at the same time. Another user will have to wait till the import/revert finishes.
Scenario: When two users of the same link reached this page (Preview) and click on “I have verified, start the import”
- A user who clicks the button first will be able to run the import.
- Another user will get the error message by clicking on the button. like “You cannot import the data as another process is going on. Please try again later.”
- Once, the import has begun; you will be directed to the page where you can see the progress bar
Below the Progress Bar, you can see the list of your account's previous imports by your teammates/users with files name
- Once the import gets finished, you will receive the message: "Import has finished successfully"
Once the import has been finished, you can see the status of the import:
- In case; the import fails, it will be displayed by a red exclamation icon
- In case; the import finishes but with some errors, it will be displayed by a yellow exclamation icon
You can view the records:
- Click on Created = New records
- Click on updated = Existing records updates
- Click on Download Rejected Records = Records which could not be imported
- It will download an Excel sheet showing the failed records with Errors reason
Fix the suggested issues and import this file with updated reject records
How can I undo an import? (Revert an Import)
In case, you want to revert the import due to any reason; Click on the "Revert" option which will remove all the data record uploaded to your account
You can check the status of your data import from - Setup>Data Administration>Import history
- Salesmate will tell you when the last import was done and by whom. You can also view the number of records created, updated, or rejected during the last import.
- Records Added: Successfully imported records
- Records Updated: Records that have been updated as per the chosen duplicate option
- Records Error: Problematic records that had incorrect values or any other errors.
- You can download the Rejected records correct them and reimport your sheet.
- The errors are listed in the last column of the Records ignored tab.