What are Formula Fields?
Formula fields are read-only type fields for which the values are calculated automatically based on the formula or the expression that is set up by you. You can create formula fields across all the modules (Contact, Company, Activity, and Deal).
How to create Formula Fields?
In order to create a formula field, you can follow the steps listed down below
- Click on your Profile icon in the top right corner.
- Choose Setup.
- Now head over to the Customization section and select the module for which you wish to create the field.
- Click on New Custom Field and further select Formula.
- After clicking on the Formula type field, a pop-up would open up wherein you can set up the -
- Label - Name for your reference
- Section Name - select the layout of the appearance
- Formula Return Type - Return the type of data
- Formula - Define / Insert the required formula.
- You can return the formula result in 6 ways, namely -
- Date Time
- While inserting the formula, you will be able to choose from the available list of functions, operators, and the fields using which you wish to calculate the value.
- Once you have entered your formula, you will be able to check if it's a valid syntax or not by clicking on the check syntax button.
- Once you have verified the expression, you can further go ahead and hit save to add the new formula field.
How to delete a Formula Field?
To delete a formula field, here are the steps that you need to follow -
- Navigate to the customization section by clicking on your profile icon on the top right corner and further select setup.
- Now, choose the module under which you wish to delete the required formula field
- Further click on the three dots against the field and select delete.
- A pop-up warning block would open up asking if you wish to delete the field or move it to the inactive section.
Note: Once you click on delete, you would be again asked for your confirmation if you wish to delete the field. Once deleted, the Field and its respective value cannot be retrieved and are completely lost.