The Import wizard helps you to import data from CSV/Excel file (XLS/XLSX) to Salesmate CRM.
Before getting started, we suggest looking at this article to understand how the data can be imported to best fit your business needs. You can also refer to the video below for quick guidance.
What's New (Importing Links to refer) :
1. Learn more about how to import using an individual or grouped file
( Link to - https://support.salesmate.io/hc/en-us/articles/360050914911 )
2. Importing from another app
( Link to - https://support.salesmate.io/hc/en-us/articles/360050914871 )
3. Import FAQ's
( Link to - https://support.salesmate.io/hc/en-us/articles/360052248591 )
Topics Covered :
You can import your Contacts, Companies, Deals, Activities records, and Notes; in Salesmate through a CSV/Excel file (XLS/XLSX).
Pre-Requisite for Single file import
- Before you import the records, ensure that you have created all the Users and Deal-pipelines in your Salesmate account such that the data can be properly associated during import.
- The default pipeline and the first stage of the pipeline would be selected to import data if Salesmate doesn't find the matching pipeline or stage.
Steps to Import Records
To access import Wizard please follow the below steps :
- Click on the Profile Icon at the top right corner
- Select Setup
- Go to Data Administration
- Select Import Or Migrate Data
- Select "Import using file"
Import Wizard can also be accessed through Modules List Page like - Contact, Company, Activity, or Deal
To access import Wizard within Modules please follow the below steps :
- Select the Module from the Menu bar through which you want to initiate the import process (Contacts, Companies, Deals, or Activities)
- Go to Actions Menu
- Select Import from Excel or CSV file
- You can import contacts, companies, deals, activities, and notes separately or using a single file by grouping records together.
- Need a helping hand with the Sample spreadsheet, click on the "Download sample spreadsheet" to download a reference sample file to help you with the import.
- To get started with the import Drag and Drop your spreadsheet to be imported on the given below section or Click on "Choose a file" and select the file that you intend to import
- There is no limit to the number of columns that can be added to the sheet to upload
- There is a limit of 50,000 rows in the sheet to upload
- The maximum file size should be 25 MB
- Salesmate recommends importing a small chunk of records first if you have a large number of records to be imported to check if the records are imported in the way you want in the system
- Make sure the supported File type is selected - XLSX / XLS or CSV
- Once the File is selected for import, hit the Next button available below
- This stage helps you in mapping the sheet columns with Salesmate fields present under the respective Module.
- Map the sheet columns with Salesmate system fields and custom fields (that you have created) for the proper association of the data
- Salesmate will try to map known columns automatically, the rest of the columns will require manual mapping
- In case the Field Name present in the imported sheet differs from the one present in Salesmate, you can always map it with the required field by clicking on the Field selection
- By default, the fields in the excel sheet will be auto mapped with the fields present in the system with similar Field names
- If similar field names are found in multiple modules, the Field mapping by default will be with the module in order of Contact > Company
- The mapping against each module can be easily identified with the icons set available against each field
- The import file's column that is mapped to the Salesmate's "owner" field must contain a valid email address of the owner
- In case the email address is not present or incorrect, the logged-in user will be assigned as the owner of all imported records
- If there are no values for required fields the corresponding records will be ignored while importing
- If you mapped other than the required fields of a module, then the NEXT button will be disabled and an error message will appear
Required fields for each module:
Contact: First Name OR Last Name OR Name
Notes: Note Content
- If you are importing a Column with ID Field make sure the Id's listed are from Salesmate itself as importing the column will overwrite complete data of the matching column.
- If any sheet column does not exist as a module field in the system, then you can directly create it from the view
- Select the Module from the header under which the Field should be created
- Click on “Create New Field”
- Select the "Field Type" you want to create for mapping
- Mention the Label and Section under which Field should appear in the form
- Hit Save, and you are done with Field creation and auto mapping of the new field
- If any date field is present in the mapping, a (yellow color) icon will show up for every date field present in the file with the message "Please Select date and time format for data type field "
- Click on the icon to select the required Formating
- Toggle to the icon to Select "Date Format" and "Time Format"
- Accepted Date Formats in Salesmate
- dd mm yyyy
- mm dd yyyy
- yyyy mm dd
- yyyy dd mm
- Click on the icon to specify the date and time formats and Save
- Click on Next, to go to the Next set of importing stages
- Salesmate provides an option for the user to add Notes to each module
- The following points need to be considered while importing Notes:
- Notes will be created on a priority basis
- 1st is Deal
- 2nd is Contact
- 3rd is Company
- Notes will be created for the Deal module if its record is present in the sheet
- If not, the second priority will be given to the Contact module
- And the third priority will be to Company Module
- In case, If you want to upload NOTES only, then you need to mention record for at least one module ie. (Contact/Company/Activity/Deal) for the association.
- Notes will be created on a priority basis
Required fields for Note:
- Note Content (mandatory)
- Created At (if not mentioned, the current date will be assigned)
- Created By (If not mentioned, logged in user will be assigned)
Preview and Import
Choose Data Handling
- Assign owner from the drop-down, if not mentioned in the sheet
- This feature will assign the owner to those records which do not have owner specified in the sheet or specified owner is not present in the sheet
- You can add Tags to Segment and further filter your imported records
3. Duplicate Records
Select either of the conditions required by you during import
- Merge Records: The system will merge the newly uploaded record into the duplicate one
- Create multiple records: The system will create new records without checking for any duplicates
- The system will skip the record if it is already present.
4. Handle Blank Columns
- Always overwrite: Always overwrite all mapped data fields from the current sheet to the records inside Salesmate
- Only when values present: Only overwrite if the sheet's records have non-blank values for the mapped data fields
5. Handling multi-select and tag fields
- Merge data of current record and newly uploaded record from the sheet
- Overwrite the current record with the newly available data inside the sheet
6. Preview of mapped columns
- You will get a preview of what the import would be like, the following information would be listed as given below to verify before the import
Click on " I have verified, start the import " to start the import process and you will be redirected to the next page where the progress of the current import be visible.
- Only one user of the same link can run the import/revert at the same time. Another user will have to wait till the import/revert finishes.
- Once, the import has started, the user will be directed to the page where he can see the progress bar
- Once the import gets finished, you will receive the message: "Import has finished successfully"
- You can quickly glance through the Stats made available on the import screen.
- Below the Progress Bar, you can see the list of your account's previous imports by your teammates/users with files name
- Once the import has been finished, you can see the status of the import
- If the import fails, it will be displayed by a red exclamation icon
- If the import finishes but with some errors, it will be displayed by a yellow exclamation icon
You can view the record Details:
- Created = New records
- Updated = Duplicate records updates
- Download Rejected Records = Records which could not be imported
- Rejected records will download as an Excel sheet showing the failed records with Errors reason
- Fix the suggested issues and import this file with updated reject records
How can I undo an import? (Revert an Import)
- In case, you want to revert the import due to any reason, click on the "Revert" option which will remove all the data record uploaded to your account
- Revert option will only be available till 48 hours from the time of import, after which this option will not be available on the screen.