Sometimes, you may need to add multiple people in a conversation to resolve a common query, or include others from your team in support of a better perspective.
We are introducing group conversations in Messenger. The group conversations work similarly to CC people over an email. You can now add multiple participants to a conversation at any point in time, and they will be able to see the full history of the conversation.
Add a person to a group conversation
You can add a customer or user to a conversation in two ways:
Add participants directly via Messenger inbox:
- In your Messenger inbox, open the conversation in which you want to add participants
- Click on the Action button (the three dots) in the conversation header on top
- Choose Add / Remove Contact
- Search for the person you want to add by email or name, if not found then their contact will be created when they're added to the conversation
- Hit Save to add the selected participants to the conversation.
Note: You can not add participants in the conversation with a visitor, but if you want to then you'll have to convert that visitor into contact first, then you can add other contacts in the conversation.
Add participants over email:
- If any user or contact replies to a conversation via email or sends an email to Messenger’s forwarding address by keeping people in CC then those people will be added as participants in the conversation.
- The system will fetch all the recipients from TO and CC of an email sent to Messenger inbox and adds them as participants in the conversation, except for the emails that are part of ignore list.
- Participants can also add other participants later via replying to the email notification and keeping others in CC.
- Only the primary contact (with whom the conversation started initially) can reply to the conversation via messenger widget, the rest participants can only reply to the conversation via email.
You can also navigate between each contact's profile at the side of the conversation, by clicking on their avatar you will see their information below.
Note: As of now, a user can add up to 10 participants in a conversation.
Remove a person from a group conversation
You can remove a participant from the conversation when they’re no longer required. It can be done only via messenger inbox, by following the below steps:
- Open the required conversation from which you want to remove a participant
- Click on the Action button
- Choose Add/ Remove Contact
- Remove the participant from the list displayed, and then hit the Save button.
- The primary contact cannot be removed from the conversation.
- Participant stops receiving the notifications of conversation when they’re removed from it.
Add an exception of email addresses for group conversations
Your customers might send messages by including your company’s email address or your teammate in CC. By default, the system will fetch those email addresses and add them to the conversation as participants. But sometimes, you may want to ignore these company addresses from getting added to a conversation, and our Messenger allows you to do that by adding these email addresses in the ignore list.
Who and how customers are notified?
- When a new participant is added to the conversation, the system will notify that participant via email.
- An email notification is sent to each participant when new replies are posted in the conversation.
- The email notification is sent to the primary contact only when the message is not seen by him within 2 minutes.
- Participants will receive the whole conversation history in the email notification to get the context of the conversation.
Note: The group conversations do not appear in the conversation list of secondary contacts or participants.
Please sign in to leave a comment.