There are certain fields whose values depend on another field's value. For example, the values in the state field will depend on the country that you select from the country field.
The relation between such fields is of parent and child. The values of a child field are dependent on the value selected in the parent field.
To establish a dependency between fields follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Profile icon on the top right corner
- Click on Setup
- Head over to Modules Category
- Here, select the Module
- Go to the Field Dependency tab.
- It displays columns for Parent Field, Child Field, and Actions.
- Initially, when you visit the tab, the grid will be empty with the message No map dependency fields found.
- Click the "Add Dependency Field" button to begin mapping the dependency between fields.
- To create a field dependency, you need at least two select or multi-select fields.
- A popup will appear with two options:
- Parent Field: Select the parent field from the dropdown. Only one value can be selected.
- Child Field: Select the child field from the dropdown. The values in this field will change based on the selected value in the parent field.
- The value in the parent and child fields cannot be the same. If they are, an error message will be displayed: "Parent field and Child field cannot be the same."
- If there are no select or multi-select fields present in the module, a message will be displayed in the popup with an option to go back: "Your workspace doesn't have any select (picklist) fields for the module. Please create at least two such fields to use map dependency."
- Once you have selected the parent and child fields, click the "Next" button.
- Circular dependency prevention: Ensure there is no circular dependency. If you have already created a dependency between the country and state fields, where the country is the parent and the state is the child, you cannot create the state as the parent and the country as the child. If such an attempt is made, an error message will be displayed.
- On the next screen, a block will be displayed for each value of the parent field. It will show a list of all values of the child field that were selected in the previous screen.
- Display the relation between the parent field and the child field in the header, e.g., Parent Field ⋲ Child Field.
- Enable the toggle button for the child field values that should be displayed for each parent field value.
- Once you have made the necessary selections, click the "Save" button to save your changes.
- If a dependency already exists between fields, attempting to create the same dependency again will not be allowed.
- The popup will close, and you will see that the grid is updated with the parent field and child field for which you have created the dependency.
- You can edit or delete the dependency by clicking on the Edit or Delete option displayed in the Action column.
Note: The options to Edit or Delete will not be available for default system dependency fields or in the deal or custom module.
- Map Dependency Fields can only be created for Select and Multi-select field types.
- Only select and multi-select fields will be displayed as options.