If your business is based in the European Union (EU), or you process the personal data of individuals in the EU, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) affects you.
To be able to demonstrate compliance with the GDPR, the data controller must implement measures which meet the principles of data protection by design and by default.
When relying on consent as your legal basis for processing, the GDPR says the consent you obtain must be freely given, specific, informed, and unambiguous.
With Salesmate, you can create GDPR-friendly forms including checkboxes for opt-in consent, and editable sections that explain how and why you are using data.
In this article, you’ll learn how contact forms can help you comply with the GDPR.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Enabling GDPR fields on your contact forms does not make you compliant. It’s the first step of the process.
- Salesmate offers application and information as a resource, but we don’t offer legal advice.
- We recommend you contact your legal counsel to find out how the GDPR affects you.
How It Works
Just enabling GDPR fields on your Contact forms will not make you compliant. It’s the first part of a multi-step process. Here’s how it works.
Setting up your GDPR-friendly Contact form
Before you set up the form, user needs to create Custom fields and Sections to be added in the Contact creation Form.
Follow below steps to create Custom Field:
Enable GDPR Section
- Click on your Profile Icon
- Click on Setup
- Go to Customizations
- Select Contact
- Click on Add New Section
- Provide Section Name
- Update - Column Layout
Enable GDPR Custom Fields
- Create GDPR fields for the contact creation forms
- Click on New Custom Field
- Select the Field type - Multi Select
- Select the *Label type - Communication Permissions (choose your own custom label message)
- Select the * Section Name - GDPR Consent
- Provide the Pick List Values (of your choice / requirement)
- Promotional Offers - Advertisement
- Click on Save
After your forms are in use, be careful about any further edits you make. If you change a checkbox option, the consent you received before making the change will no longer be valid and you’ll need to reconfirm opt-in. If you want to change your form, we suggest that you add a new checkbox or remove an old one.
Now that you’ve updated your forms, you’re ready to collect consent from your opportunities / contacts and market accordingly. But, you still need your existing contacts to opt-in to your marketing permissions.
Manage your List Views for GDPR consent
- Go to Contacts
- Select and Define Filters
- Save Views
- View your Personalised GDPR Consent Views
You can edit the opt-in preferences for your contact here, but we don't recommend it. If you choose to edit your contact's preferences, make sure you have their express and verifiable consent.